Saturday, September 20, 2008

Photohunter: Road



I took this picture of the Sonoran Desert on the road heading back from a meeting in Arizona. At the time, my boss bemusedly wondered if I could get any good shots while the car was moving... I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Those tall green spikes seen in clusters around the right base of the hill are Saguaro cacti. Apparently, they only grow wild in the Sonoran Desert, and take a long time to grow. Estimates have these cacti living for 150-200 years, and a 10 year old cactus is only 1.5 inches tall! If you want to learn more about the Sonoran Desert and the research that is taking place there, see this really neat website.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pretty decent shot to have been taken from a moving vehicle.

RYC: In the 19 years I lived there, nobody ever went off that particular curve. There is one further down the road that got people in the ditch sometimes, espically when it was rainy. The school buss even slipped off it one day.

stan said...

i like being on dirt roads away from all the concrete jungle stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

What interesting terrain on that road. And I think it looks great for a car window shot. Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Tell your boss, you got a great shot. :)

Baker Watson said...

LOL - Well I must say I never expected to see a 'desert' road for your theme post and a discussion on cactus. Quite the surprise.

Good job. That's what is fun about PhotoHunt. You never know what you will find.

Baker

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm glad I found it. :)

Powell River Books said...

Great shot while traveling down the road. I notice you are into marine biology. I live on Powell Lake in BC. It is somewhat unique because it has trapped sea water below the fresh water on the surface. If you visit my post you can check out the section called Powell Lake and scroll down to get more info if you are interested. - Margy

JO said...

nice!

thanks for visiting my blog.

http://joarduo.com